Stay in Focus Signup Popup

The Art Fair Life; Family and Friends

This is the first part of hopefully many writings that I will post on participating in art festivals as a means of employment.



For me, the hardest part of working at art festivals and of traveling is not that which is experienced directly, but instead on missing that which could be experienced away from it. I guess it is a tradeoff; missed get-togethers and functions for freedom and possibility. As art fairs typically are held on weekends and typical celebrations in my groups are held on weekends, it only seems logical that I will miss these celebrations. But this has been the hardest part of accepting what I do.


For instance, while I was at Queeny Park in Missouri at the beginning of this month I missed a get together celebrating the birthday of some of my friends. I know they had fun with out me but it would have been nice to join them. The harder ones to miss are like this past weekend at Celebration in Charleston, IL. At home, it was my nephew’s birthday (Happy Birthday!) on Saturday (love the little guy) and on Sunday I missed an Easter dinner and egg hunt on my dad’s side (I could have been a big help in finding eggs with my nieces and nephews.) And I know that as the art festival season picks up speed, I will miss more and more of these events.


But such is my life and my road. I am truly fortunate to have my family and friends and try to cherish the other times that I do get to spend with them. For that I will always be thankful. I hope that the little ones will understand some day. And I greatly respect all of those in this world that step out (by choice or coercion), miss their cherished loved ones, but still pursue that which is necessary or desired.


But not all is missed on the road. The art festival circuit brings around many recurring artists from show to show. I am always glad to see them, share stories and experiences, and grow these new relations. They are my second family and they are becoming great friends. And the many, many people that I encounter on the weekends, that share a little about themselves, that have expanded my worldview, that give such great compliments and that say hello; you always make the weekend worthwhile. If you are reading this and come to a show again, please stop in and say hello, as I do look forward to seeing familiar faces in familiar places. YOU are the sole reason why I am there!


My goal for this year (and this has really changed my attitude towards pursuing my interests in life and I am really enjoying the shows much more) is to not dwell on the places and people that I can not be with but instead be open and appreciative of wherever I am at the present.

Comments

Popular Posts