Stay in Focus Signup Popup

Day 13 Winona, MN - Wabasha, MN

June 16, 2012
Having went to bed early last night, I still managed to sleep in past 7:00. I slept hard and was eager to ride. It was wet outside from the overnight but there was a break in the rain so I quickly packed my bags and tent away. I checked the weather report for today and there is supposed to be scattered rain all day. Yay. It started to rain but I couldn’t find the key for my bike lock (it was probably overboard to lock it up but it is a good habit to have.) I knew that I had a spare in one of my panniers but I wasn’t about to dig through them during the rain. 
With time to spare while waiting out the rain, I went over and talked to my neighbors for a bit. There I met an aspiring painter who was fresh out of the Navy and was planning her own big trip. With her was our other neighbor who transplanted to the Winona area years ago but seemed homesick. He also didn’t seem to mind the elements nor the insects as he said he slept outside. They were good to talk to and each offered a different approach and perspective than I am accustomed. Good luck on your trip Miss Navy and thanks for stopping on your way and following up with me. 
The rain passed and the conversation pulled off, so I dug through my bag and found my spare key. I unlocked my bike, put away the cable and lock, and then packed my blue Surly. I said an adios and pedaled away at the ripe time of 11:10. I reached the western outskirts of Winona and the skies looked like they could open up. So, I did a u-turn to Penguin Zesto for lunch and some protection. It didn’t rain over head while I ate my California burger and raspberry chocolate shake (it’s a good combination!)
Wildlife Refuge Area

Loading the barges with grain at Winona

That's where some of the barges go

Having filled up on lunch I continued up the river anticipating rain. I reached a point where the roads were wet and the sky had showings of blue, so I pulled off my rain pants. I looked back at Winona and it looked like it was now raining. Glad I wasn’t in that. I pedaled on the shoulder of US 61, next to the bluffs and an occasional rain shower that cooled me down and hosed me off (I still have the tendency to smile while riding in the rain.) 
Looking back at the rain over Winona

Bluff peaks and rain ahead

Oops near Minneiska

Shortly after the town of Weaver was a bridge closure on my side. I pedaled as far as I could, waited for the cars behind to go first, and then crossed the shoulder-less bridge. Once on the other side, I turned on a side road and quietly followed it through the Weaver Sand Dunes (I didn’t see very much sand. Maybe it is sandier on the river?)
Bridge closure on US 61

Nice view on the side road near Weaver

Tree in the Weaver Sand Dunes

I came out of the Weaver Sand Dunes road at the town of Kellogg and hopped back onto US 61. Five miles later I arrived in Wabasha. I pedaled around town looking for the town campground and finally stumbled near it. I talked to the very helpful Gary who said that cyclists camp there all the time and so I found a spot next to the Marina to set up my tent. I set up my tent and my missing keys appeared.
With my tent up, I took my bags off of my bike and then locked the bike up to tree. I headed over to shower house to clean up, waited out some more rain, and then walked over to Slippery’s for supper. I sat at the bar and had another burger with a few orders of red potatoes in olive oil and seasoning (I probably could have eaten one more order as I still felt a bit hungry and I could use the calories.) I listened to one of the bar patrons for a while (his banter made me think,) and then headed back to my tent. I grabbed my camera and took in some of the evening’s last light.
Waiting out some rain

Rotary Bench near marina

Rotary Bench sign.

Wabasha Gazebo

FYI; if you liked the movie Grumpy Old Men, the basis for the characters lived in Wabasha and Slippery’s is named for one of the main characters in the movie. Beautiful marina, downtown, and waterfront areas.



Looking out from Wabasha

Comments

Popular Posts