Stay in Focus Signup Popup

Day 16 - 18 Stillwater, MN & back


June 19, 2012
I finally woke from the bed (whoa, first one in quite some time) a little after 9:00. I had slept through the night without waking once (I don’t remember the last time that had happened.) I threw on some clothes and headed to the complimentary breakfast. I ate from this luxury, overheard some talk of last night’s storm (glad I wasn't camping again), paid for another night’s stay, and then returned to my room. 
I spent the rest of the day thinking things over. I contemplated over the trip, weighing what I sought out to do, what I had found along the way, what my priorities are, and how I would continue on from here. I came to a content decision that Stillwater would be the stopping point for this particular trip. It was evening at this point, I ventured out for a walk with this decision. I stopped to eat some supper and continued on for a bit. I returned back to the hotel, repacked my bags and retired for the night.
June 20 & 21, 2012
I was cleaned up, ate breakfast, and checked out of the hotel by 8:45 this morning. I ventured down to Enterprise to see if there was any possible way I could rent a vehicle to drive back to Illinois. (I had talked to the gentleman on the phone yesterday and he said that it wouldn’t be possible without a nonbank issued credit card in conjunction with my out of state license.) I thought if I was there in person he could at least try to run it. 
Well, it didn’t seem to matter to him. He looked my cards over and said no. He wouldn’t even try to swipe them for approval. I offered to have someone else pay with an independent “credit card” and then fax all of their info. Still a no go. I even asked if I could have the police come down, take all of my information and verify it. He still wouldn’t do it. On to plan B.
Besides finding Enterprise yesterday, I had also found a few Uhauls in the area. I rode about  3/4ths of a mile and came to a gas station that also rented Uhauls. I asked the guy if it was possible to rent something and he said that it wouldn’t be an issue. He couldn’t understand Enterprise’s policy either. He was glad he could be of service. He had a few 10’ trucks and one that could easily get me to Illinois. I filled out the paper work, paid the man, filled up, put all of my bags in the front, and then secured my bike in the big box in the back. I pulled out of Stillwater and was on my way back to Illinois before 10:45. (I missed the next rainstorm which caused more flash flooding to the north.)
The ride back was gentle despite driving the nearly empty box truck. I arrived back in Illinois at about 7:20 (so I’m a slow driver even on the interstate) and unloaded my gear and some hugs. The next day, I returned the Uhaul, pulled out my bike from the back, and pedaled about 35 miles, visiting some family along the way.

Comments

  1. Wow! What a wonderful trip! I like your evaluating process. We look forward to seeing photos when you get back. Alan was asking about purchase of your work for ISU!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts