Stay in Focus Signup Popup

Day 2: Henry - East of Cambridge


Leah and Adam were headed in the same direction as I, but my inexperienced pokey sore butt could not get around in time to ride with them. They are quick. Their leave time was 7:15, mine 9:15. Although I never saw them again, I’m fairly certain that I came across their banana peels a couple of times.

Illinois River near Henry


After a brief chat with an older couple in Henry, I pedaled westward. There were a few more hills than I am used to but I’m sure that they are nothing compared to what I will encounter later. I came across some good farms and barns along the way, and of course stopped at most of them. There are also a lot of wind turbine farms going up in this area but luckily most of the wind for the day was at my back or to the side. 
Barn west of Henry


Farm on the road


Chicory in front of a farm


Church near Milo with wind turbines in the background


Farm before Osceola

I passed through a few towns but just snacked through them. This is something I need to change as fatigue and hunger set in along with doubt and. So, I called a friend to give him a hard time for not going (even as Support and Guidance) and I greatly appreciated his encouragement. 
I stopped in front of a house in Kewanee to change my maps and to check a few other things when the gentleman of the house came out and offered water. He said his wife was concerned that I had been out there for a few minutes and may need help. I didn’t want the help at first but I dropped my guard and took him up on his offer. I went in, filled my water bottles, drank a Coke Zero (should have went with the regular for the extra calories) and had a brief chat with them. Thanks a bunch to the kind Jim and Wilma as it was refreshing to know that there are souls out there.
Leaving Jim and Wilma’s I continued west out of Kewanee. I was feeling and riding really good. I made it to the North/South road and called ahead to a campground for availability. I dropped my little notepad out of my handlebar bag while calling. After this confirmation, my bike rolled forward and a cleat in the pedal cut into my heel just below my sandal strap. It didn’t bleed too much but I don’t care to chance infection, so I dug out my med kit, cleaned it up, and bandaged it. Thirty minutes later I was riding again.
From that spot of calling, I decided that I would try and take a few gravel roads to the campground instead of riding about 8 extra miles of well paved roads out of the way and then back tracking some to the campground. I wanted to get there as soon as possible to look at my heel. I kept thinking that this would be it, the trip ender. After a third of a mile down I decided that maybe the paved roads would be better. So, I turned around and hit the paved roads. The first three miles were alright but then I turned into the wind and the hills and my pace slowed. I snacked once and hydrated twice in these five miles. The last ascent near the golf course was brutal as near the top my pace dropped to 1.6 km/hr. 
Wind turbines on gravel road


I arrived at the campground and was greeted by the friendly owner and her crew. It took me forever to set up camp and to cook my meal, as I was once again fatigued and hungry. I mustarded the energy to cook and slowly ate my meal, each bite bringing more and more energy. And I do believe that tomorrow will be a rest day.
Today was overall better. I had some major doubts before Kewanee, but after passing there, I am much better. I’ve also learned that I need to eat better meals in the day instead of snacking and its not necessary to be riding 60+ miles each day. Again, food is fuel, its a journey not a marathon, and have fun.  


The nights supper lentils and spaghetti

Comments

  1. You were right by my hometown. Galva is about 15 minutes from Kewanee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I contemplated calling you to see if I should stay at your parent's for the night or at least riding down to Bishop Hill.

      Delete
  2. Steve knows Kewanee, grew up in Toulon. Do have that fun Dylan! We are mapping you day by day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize Steve was from up there. It's a nice area that I had never really been through before. Thanks for following!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts