Stay in Focus Signup Popup

The Leap in a Leap Year


June 4, 2012
Having packed my bags the night before and finishing a few works for an art project, I was hoping to be on the road by 7:00. After a farewell to my mom and step-dad, waiting out some rain, and possibly giving my last treat to my old time dog, I finally pedaled away from Chenoa, IL at about 8:15.
Mile 0. All packed up

I rode about 3/4 of a mile before I recognized that it could rain again. So, I pulled over for stop #1. After finagling through my bags for my rain jacket (man, where did I pack it the night before?) I tipped my bike over (got that out of the way.) Unfortunately I had forgotten to close my handlebar bag so most of its contents fell out, including my camera (it’s been through a lot so I knew it could handle the fall.)
I gathered everything up and started pedaling again. I stopped in another 3/4 of a mile as I realized I may one to put on my rain pants since it is a little chilly and rain could make it worse. (And yes, I do stop quite a bit. It’s a journey, not a race, although I need to remember this more often.) 
Is it going to rain?

Three miles later it finally started raining. I know it’s strange, but I actually liked riding in the rain (I found out early that my bags are waterproof.) A few mile later I pulled into Gridley, the place where I grew tall. I stopped at the church there and my grandparents and niece stopped by to say farewell. Saying adios, I went in and helped unload the food bank trucks at the church (ok, I only helped unload one truck and then I was put on freezer arranging duty. Guess its because I can pack stuff or they wanted me to dig deep in that coldness.) After helping with food bank, I rode down for a farewell to my dad and step-mom, then over to my grandparents for a few sunny side up eggs with my cousin.

Stopping in the rain before Gridley.
Leaving Gridley, I went north and then west, traveling by my father’s boyhood home until I came to a T. Took that straight north and finally cut west through Rutland and finally Toluca and eventually to Henry (awesome descent to the river but it would be a killer riding up it, sure I’ll have plenty of mountains to make up for it.)
Barn near my dad's childhood farm



Stopping west of Minonk.



Along with Mona's, Capponi's is a great Italian restaurant in Toluca that my family used to go to. If I wasn't gluten free, I probably would have stuck around until they opened and ordered a large helping of tortellini. (My mouth just watered.)

Overall, today (and the whole week before) was emotional, with the goodbyes and riding through known lands with a generation of other memories. I had a lot of doubts about what I was doing. I know I spent so much time planning and prepping for this but I questioned wether or not I should just fly to the Northwest. I told myself to at least ride to Henry and make my decision there. I’m glad I did for in the camp area for the night were two other riders from Maine heading to California. It was really nice to talk with them and they were kind to share their meal with me. I needed it and probably seemed very frazzled to them. Thanks Kyle and Leah.




 Not a clear picture, but 150 feet from this spot is where I camped.




Comments

  1. I love the pictures of your bike trip! Thanks for keeping us posted.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the site Andy and for checking in on me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts