Stay in Focus Signup Popup

Day 4 First Crossing of the Mississippi - Timber Camp, Cambridge, IL to Muscatine, IA


June 7, 2012
Playing a few more rounds of euchre than I anticipated the night before, I was a bit slow in moving this morning. I was up by 7:00 but after breakfast, a hot shower (don’t know when the next one will be), repacking the bags, and the other dilly dallying around that I somehow lose time to, I wasn’t on the road until about 10:40.
Leaving Timber Campground


I rode from Timber Camp through Cambridge and whizzed by a food trailer selling bbq. Oh I wanted to stop but since I just ate breakfast and it still wasn’t 11 so I kept riding. I rode a few miles out of town and on a set of S curves came across this farm with a blue silo and red barns. Naturally I had to stop, especially with the lovely clouds above.
Farm on S Curve near Cambridge


I hopped back on and headed west. I made it just south of Osco and came across this graffiti barn. I liked the messages and notes left on this aging barn in the middle of the country. And the excitement found on the one side with the softball team. I know nothing about the softball team nor how far they made it, but I could sense how large of a deal this would have been to these girls. Congrats to them!


Graffiti Barn
Oh the Excitement!

I crossed under Interstate 74 and came through Orion. I rode over a wooden bridge in town that had been tarred or covered in something that I would have preferred not to ride through as I picked up all sorts of gravel afterwards. I continued on to Sherrard and talked briefly with a curious woman and her grandson playing catch in Preemption. I stopped for shade outside of a country church and then rode through Reynolds.
That's where that bill goes

West of Reynolds I came across my first road construction site. I approached the open barricade and looked it over. I debated wether to go down or not. A few things could happen. I could; A) turn around and take a 5 mile detour, B) ride down and then have to turn around, or C) ride down and find a way through. Considering that I was hot and five miles would add quite a bit more distance and time, I coasted down to the work site. I waited until someone came out of the work area and he told me that the best bet would be to out to the field and cross the ditch there. So, I hopped off and pushed it to the side of the work area over to the field. It would have been a piece of cake except that their was a little section cut out of a dirt mound. My bags wouldn’t fit through it so I had to pick the bike up and over. It was heavy (why did I bring so much stuff?) but I lifted it over. I trekked the bike up to the other side of the site and took a little breather.

Construction Barricade


Other side of the construction site

Barn and farm near Reynolds

After resting, I continued on to Buffalo Prairie and did a little turn around to Reason’s Prairie Creek Market & Deli. I bought a PowerAde and some meat and went on to their patio to look over the maps. I attempted to call a campground northeast of Muscatine but I had that dreaded No Service symbol on my phone. I sat there a little bit longer, talked to a gentleman leaving the store, and then ventured westward.

Silo and cows along the way
The road turned into something barely rideable for a few miles and then it turned into a high quality Rock Island County blacktop. I whizzed down the curve and down into the Mississippi River valley. I rode a few more miles as traffic to and from Muscatine picked up. I stopped right before 92 and tried calling the campground again. It went through! But it went to an answering machine. No confirmation of where to stay for the night. I considered a stealth camp on a slightly higher plane but if nothing panned out I could get a hotel room. The free camp thought passed and it was time to cross the Mississippi. I waited for the cars behind to go ahead and then I made my ascent. I was nervous at first but once I peaked over the river I calmed down a bit and took it in. I saw a sign for the Mark Twain lookout and turned the corner. It was a steep climb and I had to push my bike up, but I got to the top and looked out over the Mississippi. After looking it over, I tried calling the campground again and still no luck. I was about to ride back down that steep descent but considering that I would have to ride my brakes, I took a little paved side alley instead. 
Mark Twain Overlook of the Mississippi River (that's the bridge I crossed)

The alley came out to a decent road. I waited for a guy on his scooter to come down so I could ask him about camping but he turned a few houses before. I looked back to the river and saw a gentleman walking around his yard. I strolled down and asked him if he knew of the campground I was looking for or if he knew of any others. He couldn’t think of any other camp ground but offered to let me stay in his lot next to river!!!! So, I hopped on my bike and met him and his wife down by their site. It was something that I never would have expected and I couldn’t believe their friendliness and hospitality. It still seems a little surreal. Thanks D&L!!!!!

Dinner (carbs) and campsite next to Mississippi River


Mississippi River view from the campsite

 Mississippi River view from the campsite










Comments

  1. Glad you made it across the Great Mississippi!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossing the Mississippi was very invigorating and I felt a great sense of accomplishment while riding over it. I couldn't believe that I actually rode out of Illinois.

      Delete
  2. We love your photos along the way. The graffiti barn is a keeper! Eat some protein too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The graffiti barn is a cool piece out in the middle of no where. I found out I couldn't eat enough protein or carbs.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe that you are slow to get up and moving in the mornings. After working with you all winter that blows my mind! Love reading the blog and looking at the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks G for reading up. It surprised me too that I couldn't get up and moving in the morning. Guess I didn't really have that sound of sleep each night (or maybe I knew I had to be up and moving while working for you.)

      Delete
  4. Whether you want to install metal roofing systems or you may be interested in a single-ply system, our unrivaled industry experience and top quality installation services will deliver you exceptional results every single time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts