Stay in Focus Signup Popup

Bicycle Tour - 1 Week Out


The past few years I have been dreaming of taking a long distance multi month bicycle tour. I first came across this possibility while in college and have since read more and more stories on its possibility. Every time I came across someone loaded up I could not but think of the adventure and possibility of which they were embarking on. So, I made a decision three years ago that in five years I would set out on my own bicycle adventure. This time frame would allow me to get my current situation in control, research and purchase equipment, and save money.

First things first, I busted out my old mountain bike from when I was a kid (pictured above) and began to rack up miles. Figured there was no reason to buy a new bike if I didn't like it. Well, I loved riding it. I liked the open air, the slow pace of travel, the ability to stop whenever, and the wide grin that came across my face. I felt a much greater sense of connection while riding on the bicycle as opposed to flying by in an enclosed car.  I also began to throw my camera in my backpack as I rode. In fact, a good deal of the photographs on my website never would have been captured if I hadn't been riding slowly on my bicycle.

So time has flown by since I made that decision. However, a question popped up last fall. Why wait another two years? More money was the only answer I could come up with. That was the only answer. Essentially, how much of a safety net was available in case I failed is the only reason I had for waiting another two years. With the realization that two years of my life are more valuable to me now than a larger safety net of money, I upped my leave date. I made a decision to go for the leap this year instead of waiting another two. I worked an additional job besides the photography this winter and spring, researched equipment, and trained as much as possible. It seems crazy and surreal but I leave in a week from this morning for this dream.


Comments

Popular Posts