Stay in Focus Signup Popup

Previous POst - Texas: Part I., New works and New Shows

Originally posted March 28, 2009:

I made it back from Texas just in time. I returned Wednesday night, which is quite a bit earlier than I had originally planned. It’s just the way it worked out this time but I did miss the large thunderstorms that were coming thru the area. Glad I wasn’t roughing it in those.
I must say though that Texas is amazing! The people were very friendly and dear about what is worthwhile to experience in their state. So a few suggestions, a little brainstorming, and a few dozen glances at the map and I had more options than I knew I would be able to visit on this trip.
I headed southwest to the Hill Country via 281, 290, and eventually 16 into San Antonio. I didn’t presume that 8 inches on a map would take as long as it did to drive. But, then again, I was in Texas and everything is BIG in Texas. Well worth it though. I spent hours and hours driving and driving and absorbing the area. I definitely bit off more than I could chew on this trip and accepted that early on. I definitely have reason to go back.
This was Hill Country but these weren’t just hills but what I would classify as canyons. I wasn’t sure if the truck would make it at some points. It was different to look into the viewfinder and see land that was nonlinear, that curved, jutted and and wasn’t barren by the toils of a machine. What struck me the most was how everything is fenced in. This may seem strange but I am used to miles and miles of open fields with easy access, ample tractor turn turn-ins, and rows of fields or barren tilled land. But I was in the middle of grazing country and fences are the vitality of keeping the livestock in. And who needs an access point except for the rancher to get to his home.
I will add more writings on Texas at a later date but here are a few pieces that I was able to create:

“Fence Hanger” “Prickly” “To Willow City”
“Willow City Loop” “Wisteria” “Longhorn Bow

I have also received a notification for two more events:
- June 6-7: Columbia Art in the Park in Columbia, MO
- June 27-28: ArtFest Midwest in Des Moines, IA

Comments

Popular Posts