Stay in Focus Signup Popup

Previous Post - "Drift"

Originally posted May 28, 2009:

"Drift"



A few weeks ago I exhibited at the Wichita Art, Book, & Craft Festival as part of Wichita’s 10 day River Festival. On the 10 hour drive down there I was taken back by the Flint Hills that is barely cut up by the Kansas Turnpike. I didn’t know that this hidden gem was there. So at the show I talked to a few different people to get the best logistics on which direction to go through the area. Essentially two different options: 1) Take the turnpike to Cassoday and head up 177 or 2) head east of Wichita on 254 to El Dorado and then take route 77/56 north.

Looking to take a less traveled route and not pay a toll fee, I decided to go with 77 North (I could have just as easily caught 177 North east of El Dorado as well). I headed north of El Dorado and was just taking in the sights of the rolling windmill dotted landscape and the occasional abandoned farm. I had been told to eventually head to Chase County and its towns. I had an obscure map that showed a vague route near Burns that cut through rural roads up to Cedar Point, so I said “Why not?” and turned off shortly after Burns (wasn’t even on the map - story and photographs for a future writing).

I eventually ended up at Clement’s Bridge, an old stone bridge that sits in disrepair. On this bridge there were various plants growing, of which the dandelion at the top of this page was a part of (and no, I didn’t drive to Kansas just to take a picture of dandelion that could have grown in my backyard.) I really didn’t expect this piece to be the first one that I would create and post of Kansas, but, here it is.

I’m not sure why this piece is first. Maybe because it brings back memories of blowing the seeds from the stem as a kid. Perhaps it was the texture of the seeds and plant. Or the drifting of the seeds from their dying base to go form a new independent life that is carried by very simple means.

But whatever the reasons may be, this often thought of “nuisance” perhaps should be thought of instead as another seedling of life that graces us with its presence.

Comments

Popular Posts