Stay in Focus Signup Popup

Leanings


It was mid-March and I had just returned from a 10 day mini apprenticeship with an Iowan painter and was happy to be out in the early spring days (I learned a great deal about patience, possibility, and fear in those 10 days than I ever would have imagined. Thanks Jeff!) I went to the gas well entrance of the preserve and began to walk through the grasses of this little used trail. I walked down the hill and looked to the east and there stood this tree leaning from its base into the sky. I was transfixed on the bend of the tree and I hadn't even walked 200 yards from the entrance.

I closed my eyes. I stood there with the wind blowing over the hill and through the grasses, the sun's warmth on my back, smiling as I "saw" this place. I reopened my eyes and knew what I wanted to capture. I placed my tripod to the frame above, with the right-leaning tree and the windblown prairie grass leaning in the foreground toward the left. And I waited. Patience, Dylan, patience. And finally the right cloud came. This cloud that  roughly outlines the top push of the leaning tree, as if it and the tree were attracted to each other.

Leanings is the 34th creation in Local Sanctuary

Click to see Leanings in more detail and other works by Dylan.

Comments

Popular Posts